As my sweet hubby was getting the yard ready to be mowed for the first time last weekend, I looked around at the shrubbery and decided it needed to go. ALL OF IT! Before you think I'm crazy for ripping out 15 year old shrubbery, let me give a little back story. Our yard was very pretty when we moved in 3.5 years ago. In fact, here's a picture.
The previous owners must have been into yard work because there
are were lots of plants. Aside from the fact I thought there were too many, I also didn't like any of them. I like a clean, simple look with classic Southern plants. Give me azaleas, hydrangeas, and a Crepe Myrtle please. I want a yard that is nice, but doesn't require a lot of maintenance. We aren't really into yard work, so the low-maintenance thing is REALLY important to me. I also like flowers and color, something our front yard was surprising lacking.
Here's where my project comes in...we are removing everything along the front of our house and along the retaining wall. We will replace with pretty, simple bushes and plants. We'll also have some COLOR! In the meantime, we definitely have the ugliest yard in the neighborhood. I feel like I need to have a sign up like this in our yard...
Monday, our yard looked like this...I'm sure I don't have to point out there are significantly less bushes and one less tree than in the previous picture. Many have died off over the years and we've taken them out slowly.
Side note...I'm hoping to paint our shutters black and our front door red during this project for an entirely new look.
Left side of our house...
Right side of our house & the retaining wall...
During naptime Monday, I removed 7 bushes all by myself (the soggy ground made that much easier & I was quite proud!). The trailer we borrowed was full, so I stopped. Wednesday during naptime, I cut back 3 bigger bushes along the retaining wall and then tried to remove their root ball. Um, not easy. Not easy AT ALL! Frustrated that I couldn't do it myself, I called my husband and he said that he would take care of it. So I removed some really heavy pavers and dug up two yellow rose bushes (those poor things somehow thrived on lots of neglect). Again, the trailer was full and I was pretty much at a stand-still with what I could accomplish alone.
My Father-in-Law stopped by today to haul the trailer full of yard debris away. While he was over, I showed him my root problem. He thought he could help. No surprise there, he's the handiest man I know. He started digging, an axe became involved at some point, and then a heavy strap and motor vehicle were the last resort. Yes, he and my hubs put a strap around the root of the former bush and tried to drive away. The first two worked well, came up with little trouble. Due to the slope in our driveway, a short strap, and the brick retaining wall, the third bush won and broke the strap.
That's OK...I hear my brother-in-law's wrecker may make an appearance tomorrow to pull out the final four bushes with a chain. Sounds a little redneck & I feel like I should be out there cheering, "Git-R-Done!" I don't care - I'm just happy it will be ready to till once the rest of the bushes/roots are up!
More pictures and updates to come as this