06 February 2010

Living in a New Testament world...

I'll admit that I usually prefer to read through the New Testament over the Old Testament. The NT always seems so full of life, positive action, God's goodness while the OT seemed to have condemnation, affliction, and just a lot of general yucky stuff. So, I'd previously preferred to just bury my head in the sand. 


Even with all this in mind, I decided a while ago to read through the book of Jeremiah. Why Jeremiah? Well, that's my Little Man's name. Did we choose it because of the Biblical Jeremiah? No. We wanted our little one to have his daddy's initials, so we had to come up with a "J" name we both liked - Jeremiah won out. After he was born, people kept telling me what a strong name that was and saying things about the Jeremiah in the Bible. Truth is...I don't really know much about him. The only thing I really knew from that book was this well-known verse
"For I know the plan I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11
 I know and LOVE that verse. It just fills me with hope of all that God does for those that love him. Well, I decided I wanted to know more so I've set off on a quest to read through - one chapter per day. Since there are 52 Chapters, it should have taken me a little less than 2 months. Unfortunately, I'm not particularly consistent in my Quite Times, so I've been reading through for a while and I just finished Chapter 16 today. Yeah...I've been slow, but I'm making an effort to be more consistent.


I've learned so much from these 16 chapters already and wanted to log a few of my thoughts...
-13:11 says "For as the waistband clings to the waist of a man, so I made the household...to CLING TO ME"  (emphasis added by me)
This verse really made me think about how I was (more like was not) clinging to God very often. After berating myself in my QT Journal for my stupid & selfish actions, I wrote this "Instead of my focus being on _________ (fill in the blank with whatever you're struggling with), it should be totally centered on GOD! I should hold on to Him with all that I am. His knowledge, wisdom, and providence are all that I need. I have to cling to Him, there is no other good way."


-14:10 states "Even so they have loved to wander; they have not kept their feet in check. Therefore the Lord does not accept them; now He will remember their inequity and call their sins to account."
Hmmm...how often do your feet wander? My have wandered a lot in my lifetime. This verse really reminded me how thankful I am to live after Jesus Christ came to live on this earth and die for our sins. My sins. They are forgiven because of Jesus' blood. Let me never take that for granted again. I am forgiven for my sins by just repenting. Am I immune to my sins? No, I still have to suffer their earthly consequences. But, I do not have to pay for them eternally. Amazing, right?


-16:12b, "for behold, you are each one walking according to the stubbornness of his own evil heart, without listening to me."
My actions often say, "No thanks God - I'll do it my way." It's laughable to think we know better than God Almighty. Or maybe we know we don't know better, but our way is easier and more comfortable. Either way, I need to get over myself and listen to God, walk with His plan in mind.


Like I said before, God is good. Thank you, Lord, for letting me live now, after your Son has come to pay for my sins. My I never take advantage of that, but always serve You.


If you made it this far through my ramblings, then good for you. I was just struck by what I've been reading and wanted share some of my thoughts. I'm diving a little deeper into the OT and it's causing me to appreciate the NT even more than before.

1 comment:

  1. I love your honesty and candidness! I feel the same about the OT as you do, but am doing Priscilla Shirer's new study "One in a Million" on Thursdays @ CW and we're going through most of the book of Exodus, and it's really been changing my mind (and heart) too! Thanks for writing this, and it's so great to have a sister in Christ in you!

    ReplyDelete