So instead, I made a very simple Advent Calendar out of construction paper that I already had & taped it to our pantry door. I cut a tree & some stars, then punched out 24 red circles with a 1" circle puncher. On the red circles I wrote activities for us to do each day in December leading up to Christmas Day.
Some of our activities are:
- watch a Christmas special on TV (that I DVR'd because no way does little man stay up late enough to watch it in real time)
- color a Christmas coloring page
- read a Christmas book
- play with our Little People Nativity Set (we do this daily - it's a BIG hit!)
- bake cookies with Nana
- make Christmas goodies with Mimi
- surprise Daddy at work with Christmas treats
- make a birthday card for Jesus
- bake a birthday cake/cupcakes for Jesus (hope Jesus likes chocolate as much as we do!)
- make & take treats to neighbors
I left some blank so we could come up with extra activities along the way. Nothing on this list is super special, nor does it cost a ton of money (they're pretty much free!). But it is nice to take a little time each day to remember why we celebrate this season.
I'm trying to remember & incorporate what our MOPS mentor mom, Janie, said to us right before the holiday season started..."Hospitality is in the heart, not the home". So, no, I don't have to have the cutest Advent Calendar out there, but it certainly has my heart in it.