08 September 2010

Damson Plum Jam

Have you ever heard of a Damson Plum? I hadn't until this past year when a sweet friend told me about them. Her parents grow them and she often makes preserves out of them. She was so generous to give me a bag full. I had no clue what I was going to do with them, but I knew I'd make something!


I checked out the Ball Blue Book of Preserving (my go-to book for anything preserving related) and found a recipe for Damson Plum Jam. It looked pretty easy (3 ingredients: fruit, sugar, water), so I decided to give it a whirl. I was quite nervous because this was the first time I'd ever made jam the old fashioned way - without pectin. However, the patience to get it to the "gelling point" paid off because it is delicious!!


The recipe made 6 half-pints. This was so good that I'm not sure I'll be giving them away as Christmas gifts...I might be greedy & keep them just for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment